Vintage Germantowne Crier masthead, circa 1956
The Germantown Crier has its origins as a newsletter first published in 1946 by the Germantown Historical Society. It was reworked into a journal format, and the first issue was published in the winter of 1949. Since then, a new issue has been released multiple times each year, and features articles covering various aspects of Germantown history. It occasionally features the works of Germantown writers and artists. The Crier is currently released twice a year in spring and fall.
Please Note: As some of the articles are almost 70 years old, they were written at a time when our community and country had different attitudes towards history, race and ethnicity. This should be kept in mind when reading the articles, and their content should be considered in the historical context in which they were written.
We will be sharing vintage articles from the Crier here in a virtual library – adding a new article regularly throughout the year!
The Germantown Crier is a benefit of your membership with Historic Germantown. You can find out more information, JOIN or DONATE here.
Article by Joseph J. Peters, M.D.
The first edition – Volume 1, Number 1 of the ‘Germantowne Crier’ published in January of 1949.
The original cost was 25 cents! It is full of great advertisements from the Germantown area and features a number of articles about the Harkness House (the current home of GHS!), Market Square and the Great Road.
- Morris House by John W. Jackson
- Harkness House by Edward W. Hocker
- Memories of Old Germantown, Particularly of Market Square by Elliston P. Morris
- The Great Road to Germantown by Frances Anne Wister
- Why a Community Council? by Bruce Jones
- A Sketch of Germantown Historical Society by Katherine Richardson Wireman
- An interesting article on inns and taverns by Ernest Howard Yardley
- Part 2 of the article featured in the Spring 1988 edition of the Crier by Martha Crary Halpern
Highlights from the Commemoration of the 300th Anniversary of the 1688 Germantown Protest Against Slavery
- Facsimile and Text of the Protest Against Slavery, 1688
- Background and Circumstances of the Germantown Protest Against Slavery, 1688 – Part 1 by Martha Crary Halpern
- Three Exhibits Celebrate the 300th Anniversary of the Germantown Protest Against Slavery by Barbara C. Adams / Photos by Harry Kalish
- Blacks in Germantown Before the Civil War, Part 1: Persons Named in Various Contemporary Records and Subsequent Reminiscences, etc.
- The history of Germantown Avenue (through 1964) by Catherine MacFarlane, developed from a lecture by the author given to the Germantown Historical Society.
- List of Street names from historical volumes circa 1885 and 1897
- “As the German village slowly grew into a town and then into a suburb and eventually submerged its identity, at least in part, in the City of Philadelphia, a number of smaller communities came into being within its boundaries, flourished for a time, more or less, and ultimately disappeared. Some of these, especially with colorful names like Dogtown, Smearsburg and Beggarstown, still arouse curiosity. Others like McNabbtown, Little Britain and New Jersualem, survive in old-timers’ vivid reminiscences of fifty to seventy-five years ago.”
Included here a collection of smaller articles from the Winter 1974 edition. Volume 26, Number 1
- The Op Den Graeffs by Nancy Sellers
- The Upper Burying Ground of Germantown by Doris F. Ritzinger
- Earliest Kindergarten – from “The Scrap Book” compiled by N.K. Ployd of Germantown, in 1909.
- Scraps of Local History – from “The Scrap Book” compiled by N.K. Ployd of Germantown, in 1909.
Since it was first published in 1949, the Germantown Crier has been distributed to members of the Germantown Historical Society. The publication of the spring 2020 issue has occurred under extraordinary circumstances, having been developed against the backdrops of the coronavirus pandemic and the Black Lives Matter movement. To facilitate the distribution of the spring 2020 Crier during these times, we have decided to distribute it electronically, free-of-charge and to our entire email list- a “first” for the Crier. The standard print version will be mailed to our members in the near future. If you don’t already receive the print version of the Crier and would like to do so, please join as a member of Historic Germantown! You will be mailed the Crier twice a year, and will receive many other benefits with your membership.
Special Series from the Fall 2006 Germantown Crier – Between the Wars: Life in Germantown Between World War I and World War II
“In the early 1990s the Germantown Historical Society conducted an oral history project under the direction of Louise Strawbridge, in conjunction with the Philadelphia Alumni Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta. Older Germantown residents, many of them African Americans, were interviewed on tape about growing up in Germantown between the first and second World Wars. These tapes offer each person’s unique story and highlights shared experiences. Many of those interviewed, for example attended the Hill School, Roosevelt Junior High, Germantown High School, the Wissahickon Boys Club, and the [Black] YWCA. Those interviewed knew the value of their memories of Germantown and generously gave their time and effort to the project. We have selected five interviews, four of African Americans and one of two White sisters. Each interview has been edited and shortened. All the tapes are held at the Germantown Historical Society.
The transcriptions of these interviews have been carried out by various volunteers. The assistance of Jim Moore, librarian of the African American Genealogy Group, has been invaluable–transcribing tapes, doing additional research, including obtaining photographs, and checking each interview.”
- Alyce Jackson Alexander (interview #1)
- John Archie Childs (interview#2)
- Geneva E. Edney (interview #3)
- Charles Cauthorn (interview #4)
- Rosemary and Mary Frances McNally (interview #5)
Written for the September 1962 Crier, this article, by Frank E. Glace, features the history of early lighting in Germantown.
- David W. Young, PhD., former director of Cliveden, wrote this article based on research for his dissertation for his PhD. at Ohio State University. You can read more about it and Germantown public history in his book, The Battles of Germantown: Effective Public History in America published in 2019.
- Dennis McGlinchey authors this article on the Jewish Foster Home and Orphans Asylum once located on 700 Church Lane in East Germantown. From the vol. 60 no 1 spring 2010 edition of the Crier.
- Article by former Archivist of the Germantown Historical Society and the former editor of the Germantown Crier, Lisabeth M. Holloway on the craft industry of shoemaking in Germantown.
- Early “journal” of proceedings from events held for the Site & Relic Society of Germantown (and more), published circa 1916. The Site & Relic Society of Germantown was the precursor organization to the Germantown Historical Society.
- ‘The Garden at Stenton’ by Mrs. William Redwood Wright
- ‘The Reception at Cliveden’ by Jane Campbell
- ‘A Newcomer in Germantown’ by Jane Campbell
- A brief article by Dr. Catherine MacFarlane who discovered Johnnie Schreiber while doing research on the Battle of Germantown. Originally published in May 1962, Volume 14, No.2.
- The author biography at the end mentions Dr. MacFarlane hoped to publish a book for children on Johnnie Schreiber. It looks like it probably never happened, but the life of Dr. MacFarlane is incredibly interesting in her own right. Read more about this incredible woman here.
- Interesting article highlighting the images and history of some Civil War era portraits in the collection of the Germantown Historical Society by Susan Powell Witt. Originally published in Spring 2007, Volume 57, Issue 1.
- An article highlighting medical practices in Germantown by Steven J. Peitzman, M.D. and Lisabeth M. Holloway. From the Vol. 39, No. 3 Summer 1987 edition.
- A compilation of historic trees from around Philadelphia County, featuring types, sizes and locations. By John T. McNeil, originally published in March 1968.