Awbury Arboretum is a 55-acre landscape, originally the private estate of the Cope-Haines family, an extended clan of wealthy Quaker shipping merchants.
The historic, Francis Cope House (1862), a gracious Victorian stone mansion, serves as Awbury’s headquarters. Surrounding the house on the east side of Washington Lane lie 33 acres of rolling lawns, mature specimen trees and copses, special gardens, a bird sanctuary, restored ponds, wetlands, meadows being returned to native plants and wildflowers, and woods.
One Awbury Road
Philadelphia, PA 19138-1505
Grounds open dawn to dusk, 365 days a year
Tours may be scheduled by appointment.
Public Transportation Nearby
SEPTA 18, XH bus routes, and Chestnut Hill East Regional Rail Line (Washington Lane Station)